Working on a metal piece is tricky as it requires your attention. Also, you need quite a few skill sets to operate notching machines such as pipe notchers. One wrong or careless move and you can end up hurting yourself or jeopardize the whole work which you just did on the metal.
You need to learn to operate these machines as there is no way that you will be able to tame and shape the metal with your bare hands. If you are new at building such things or hearing about a pipe notcher for the first time, stick to this blog’s end. It will walk you through the answers, including questions about pipe notchers and their uses.
The terms pipe notcher and tube notcher are used interchangeably. To understand pipe notchers, you need to know what nothing is. It is a punch-and-press process that helps remove unwanted material from a metal workpiece’s surface or outer borders.
Now combine this meaning with a pipe. A pipe notcher is a machine that shapes the sides of a metal pipe so that it can be ready for welding. The application of this kind of machinery varies depending on where you will use the pipe.
It doesn’t matter if you are building a home, apartment, or bachelor pad; you need to have a pipe notcher to shape the pipes and prepare them for welding. To narrow down the picture for you, pipe notcher machines are used in making furniture like beds, wheelchairs, or hospital equipment. They are also used in automotive such as sear frames, stabilizers, and exhaust. Other pipe notcher applications include frames for cycles or motorcycles, material handling equipment, store display equipment, electrical appliances, and irrigation systems.
Since operating machinery such as a pipe notcher is dangerous, keeping some precautionary measures in mind would be great. Some of the major ones are listed below:
- Avoid wearing jewelry or loose clothes, as they can cause mishaps.
- Cutting and shaping the metals means there will be a lot of flying metal debris and chips. Therefore, it would be safer for you to wear eye protection gear.
- While handling heaving machines such as pipe notchers with sharp edges, wearing strong and thick gloves is often recommended. The gloves will protect your hands from any potential injury.
- Before welding the notched pipe, ensure to grind the sharp edges.
- Keep the shaft clean and free from dust, dirt, metal chips, and debris.
- After each use, remember to clean the notcher and replace the lock pin.
- Keep the saw teeth lubricated with cutting oil and maintain a slow feed speed.
This machine might be useless for an ordinary person who has nothing to do with building homes or making furniture. However, this machine is like a magic wand for people who are interested in construction lines or work in them. It is so because it makes the task of shaping and removing undesirable material from metal pipes easier. If you are in this work line and still haven’t gotten familiar with this tool, then it’s time that you should do that, as now you can buy pipe notchers online without any hassle.